You’ve decided to go to the supermarket to stock up on groceries for the week. While seemingly a mundane and uneventful task, it’s important to discuss the best ways to stay vigilant from the moment you enter the parking lot.
- Don’t ever park in remote or unlit areas of the lot – scope out somewhere that is close to other vehicles and pedestrian traffic
- Know your surroundings before you exit your vehicle
- Lock your car, and when returning, check the back seat before entering
- Do not leave items of value in plain view
- If you notice someone following you into the store, don’t leave alone and seek assistance
- Have another person with you while shopping after dark
- Use caution when loading / unloading your child from the cart
- Do not be preoccupied when walking to and from your vehicle (ie. talking on the cell phone)
If an immediate danger is present, adhere to the following guidelines:
- Never get into a vehicle even if you’re threatened as changes of survival are greatly diminished
- If someone chases you to your vehicle, it is a safer option to run back inside the store
- If someone attempts a forced entry inside your car, escape immediately if possible
Register Now for our Online Vigilance Training! www.vigilancegroup.com
Very good article. I definitely love this site. Stick with it!